The issue of hearing loss in the dental profession is a important topic.
In this Thriving Dentist Show, Gary invited his friend Dr. Sean Tomalty as a Guest to discuss the incidence and causes of hearing loss among Dentists and Team Members and what can be done to reduce the risk.
In this interview Gary and Sean discuss;
- Sean’s observation of hearing loss with his Dentist Father and with the hearing loss among his Dad’s colleagues,
- the specific causes of Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) in the dental profession including the damaging decibel levels coming from high-speed handpieces and ultrasonic scalers,
- how Sean experimented with foam earplugs in dental school and the the challenges of this solution,
- his motivation for coming up with a better solution in the form of Denplugs,
- the importance of the acoustic filters in the Denplugs design,
- how Denplugs work via design and technology to protect your hearing yet still enable you to hear normal patient communication,
- how Dentists, Team Members and Patients can benefit from Denplugs and how this can be used as a practice-builder.
Hearing loss is one of the hidden occupational hazards in the dental profession and it is very cool that the topic is being addressed by creative and passionate people like Sean! You’ll enjoy this interview.
Links for the ‘Let’s Ask David’ segment with Dr. David Hornbrook:
Website for Gary’s New ‘Less Insurance Dependence’ podcast: www.lessinsurancedependence.com
Link to the Less Insurance Dependence Podcast: https://apple.co/2RBzoVf
Sean’s website: www.denplugs.comBUSTING LOOSE From Insurance Dependence in Your Dental Practice